Google+ Followers

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Interesting Book

I have always been a fan of Science Fiction books and movies about distopian futures some of my favorites include the Stand, The Long Walk, Brave New World, The Mad Max movies, and other similar stuff. I am also a fan of survivalist ficiton and nonfiction. I love the shows Survivorman and Man Vs. Wild (but not Survivor, don't get me started on the million ways that show messed up one of the best ideas in the history of television). The reason I brings this up is, I just finished a book called "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy (and no I didn't realize it was on Oprahs book club when I read it). It is a really good book about a Father and Son walking through the Appalachians about ten years after some sort of cataclism that destroyed much of the life on earth. They spend time trying to stay warm and find enough food to stay alive while trying to avoid being eaten themselves by roving bands of cannabals. The book is pretty dark in tone, and there were a couple of times I had to set it down because the imagery was just freaking me out. I would have to say though that it made me appreciate what I have been blessed with in my life and the oppotunity I have to prepare for the sort of disaster they encountered. It was a great book to read over the Thanksgiving break because I am much more thankful for what I have. I would definately reccomend this to anyone looking for a good book.   

No comments: