post politics depress me, but as I have thought about it some more, it is less the politics and more the politicians. For various reason neither of the major party candidates impress me very much this election cycle, and their respective political parties impress me even less.
Third party candidates are an option, except for the facts that you may be throwing away your vote, and many of them are wackadoos (technical term). For example, the Green Party Candidate Cynthia McKinney has claimed that the US military "Executed" 5000 prisoners from the New Orleans area during hurricane Katrina. I'd like someone to show me the empty prison. The other third party candidates aren't much better.
In my frustration I tried to boil down what exactly it is that drives me crazy about politicians. I am not a political scientist or anything, but I have come up with a list of five things and two honorable mentions that are sore spots for me, and I think politicians need to agree to before we can elect them to national office.
The honorable mentions are the elimination of gerrymandering and the implementation of congressional term limits. We have them for the president, and need them for congress. I understand the need for the judiciary to be lifetime appointments. Unfortunately we have areas in the US where the politicians are more like royalty, and seem to be elected for life. Then there are the families that are lifelong political families and rule over many generations. Didn't we have a big war with England a couple hundred years ago to end that sort of thing?
Now that the honorable mentions are done, here is the list.
1. Intense and thorough psychological examinations and background checks. Police officers have to have them to make sure they are suited to the job and not on some power trip. Politicians need the same thing. I know this happens to some extent, but they need to be more thorough.
2. No more of this political party crap. Each individual runs for office on their own merits, Each bill or law should be done the same way. No more straight party line voting.
3. If we are going to have to put up with Pork there should be a small individual cap each year. Then those numbers and where the money went should be posted along with the congressperson who sponsored it so the constituents can see who government is really working for.
4. Everyone in public office should be required to read either the Constitution or corresponding document for their realm of stewardship depending on where they preside once a quarter. If they have deviated they need to be booted.
5. Last, but not least, Chastity Belts. Some may call me prudish for this, but how many politicians have humiliated themselves, and the country through their indiscretions. It terrifies me to think of how easily this sort of activity could lead to a politician being in the position to be blackmailed. Let them have a single key to be held at all times by their spouse, and the rest of the time they need to keep it locked up.
What do you think? Have I left anything out? Should these be adjusted? Am I just a raving lunatic? Post your input below.