Google+ Followers

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Good News in Bad Times!

With the recent economic woes the U.S. (and much of the rest of the world) have been experiencing, I have been thinking a lot about where we went wrong, and what we could have done differently. To be honest, my family and I have been relatively unaffected by these problems, in fact we have taken the opportunity to buy a house at a great price, and save a lot of money. What did we do differently? Well for one thing we have always tried to follow the council of the prophets. I did a quick search on LDS.org and in the last five years there have been dozens of talks and pieces of council given to avoid unnecessary debt and to live providently. Some of the talks I thought best illustrate the point can be found here, here, here, and here. They even have an entire website devoted to provident living here. I know as my family and I have tried to live by these principles we have been blessed. We may not be rich but we have always had enough.

With that said, my Good news is, I got a new job! I have and RSS feed from a couple of GIS job sites and one day late in September I saw a job pop up that looked interesting. I usually won't apply to a position that isn't upfront with the salary range, but this one requested I send in salary requirements so I figured "what the heck" I sent my in resume with my requirements and within a week and a half the job was mine. The interview process went very smoothly, and the job seems like it will be a perfect fit for me. Not to mention it pays a lot better than my current position. I have enjoyed working here at Washington University in St. Louis, but it is definitely time to move on. My new job starts October 27th and I will be working for Arch Coal (no mom I am not a miner) here in St. Louis as a GIS Analyst. The benefits are great and the commute is shorter than my current one and on top of that I don't have to pay for parking, one of my all time greatest pet peeves (my friends at Ampco know what I am talking about). All around I think it will be a great change for me and my family.

My take home message today is follow the prophet and even in the toughest of economic times God can bless you. Wish me luck!

No comments: