One of the side effects of listening to my zune on the way to work is a renewed love of my music. It is great, I can plug in my ear buds (which is almost as good as plugging the machine directly into my brain) and completely zone out. I am hearing songs and albums that I haven't listened to in years. One of the problems I have notice with playing my songs on random shuffle is you don't get the effect of a complete album. I used to pop in a CD and listen to the whole thing. Now, even if I slightly don't want to hear a song I just jump right past it. I wonder if not listening to the songs in the context the whole album lessons the quality.
Since I started listening again I have found myself repeating a few of the same albums over and over. Most of them so often I can repeat the lyrics word for word. This got me to thinking about what my favorite "listening" album was. I decided to pick my top five regular album (no "best ofs", compilations' etc.).
My top five in no particular order are as follows:
- Violator (Depeche Mode) I have loved this album since it came out
- Prolonging the Magic (Cake) This is just fun to listen to.
- Stunt (Bare Naked Ladies)
- Substance (New Order) This is a little bit of a cheat it is a double album
- Violent Femmes (Violent Femmes) Another one I have likes since I was a wee lad
What are your picks?