Google+ Followers

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Things I won't Miss Part 4

Let me start out by saying I am not a wuss I am not phobic of bugs or anything. I just really don't like them....a lot!

When I was a kid we took some trips down to Florida and Louisiana to visit some cousins who lived down there. Despite all the fun memories I have, some of the most vivid are the bugs that they had fight with for their territory.

My first experience was Louisiana. Not only do you have to suffer with humidity like a steam room, and temperatures nearing the surface of the sun's, but the mosquitoes are like small helicopters. One year we went to my cousins baseball game, and the entire time I was batting at these things buzzing so loudly in in my ears that I couldn't hear the announcer. After awhile I figured walking around would give me a fighting chance, so I walked through some of the fields around the park. The mosquitoes eased a small amount, but when I got back I was informed that I had to be searched for ticks!! I was not happy with this development, but fortunately I was clear of ticks, but I had a nice healthy red swollen glow from all the mosquito bites.... I decided early that Louisiana was not for me, and I would do everything in my power to avoid going back.

During the same trip we went down to Florida to visit another set of cousins. This was where I first discovered the joys of Palmetto bugs they say these things are just cockroaches, but I have a feeling they are more like cockroaches with the soul of a demon and crossed with an alligator. they were huge, and they were everywhere. Every building I went in had them. My little cousins use to chase them around and squash them with their bare feet (making my skin crawl even more in the process). At least there the mosquitoes left me alone.

I have spent the better part of 20 years putting those things behind me. I was very grateful to go to the northern climes as a missionary after some of the stories I heard from friends that went to South America and the bugs they had there. If you have any good bugs stories post them in the comments I would love to hear them (as long as I don't have to live them).

No comments: