Sometimes you see something that just makes you think "Wow Really?!" Peta recently announced that they are offering a million dollar prize to the first people who can produce lab grown meat in quantities large enough to be a viable food source....?
I have never been that big of a fan of Peta. I think they are irresponsible activists. I don't think their message is terrible or anything, but they are complete boneheads in the way they go about protesting. I remember several years ago when they protested an elementary school for being sponsored by McDonald's, and in the process they freaked out a bunch of little kids. It is that sort of Jackassery that makes me want to see them all smacked.
This really isn't a post meant to bash Peta, I am actually interested in this lab grown "Frankenmeat". There are several articles out there that have interesting comments here and here are a couple of good ones. Despite the fact that they are focussed on chicken meat, reading these got me thinking, if they grow human cells and made people meat would it be cannibalism to eat it? Can you imagine all the weird exotic meats that could be grown? So what do you think? I have several questions.
1. Are you still a vegetarian if you eat lab meat?
2. Would you eat lab grown meat?
3. Are you a cannibal if you eat lab grown people meat?
4. Would you eat lab grown people meat?
My answers would be.
1. No, meat is meat
2. Sure why not
3. Yes, it is still people meat (but in the not morally wrong kind of way)
4. Maybe, I would have to see how and where the cells it was grown from originated. If they took cells from my leg and made me a Scott Burger, sure I would try it it. I wouldn't be insulted if no one else wanted to though.
What would your answers be?