Google+ Followers

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Dream Jobs??

I don't write about my job very much on this blog. I figure those conversations are best left private. I can say two things I have learned since starting here almost 1 year ago, this job involves waaaaaay more politics than I care for, and it is definitely different than what I expected coming in.

Before working for working for Washington University I worked for the Utah Geological Survey, and the funny thing is the government job was less political than the university. Thinking on this led me to wonder about what my dream job would be. Leaving "Evil Overlord" and "Philanthopist" off the table, I tried to come up with what I would consider a dream job.

This has never been an easy question for me. there were several things I wanted to be growing up. My earliest recollection of a dream job was a paleontologist, but that quickly passed when I grew out of my dinosaur phase. The next one was a geneticist, this was influenced by my great love of the X-men. I thought I could make some mutants of my own, or give myself powers. When I realized this wasn't going to happen, I still thought medicine might be interesting, and for a short time in high school I considered Orthopedic Surgery. It wasn't long before I decided I didn't really want to go to school for that long to be up to my elbows in someone else's blood and guts everyday. I took a geology class around the same time, and decided that was something I was really interested in, maybe I could do that. Well my mission came and went, and I still wasn't positive what I wanted to do, so off to the Community College I went. I figured I would start in Geology, and see what happened. I really liked the classes, but in my third geology class my instructor talked to us about what geography really was (up until then I though it was place names like everyone else), and then I found out about Geographic Information Science (GIS) . After that I quickly changed my major, and grew to love the field of Geography. Even when you love the field you studied, and are happy with the direction your education has taken you, there is a big difference between that and your dream job. I really need to figure out what a dream job is to me.

I like solving problems. I like the satisfaction of actually accomplishing something, and being able to look at the results of my labor. I really like to be responsible for my own success or failure. Waiting on someone else to make a decision about what you can or cannot do is frustrating at times. I like to write, and don't get enough time to do it. I also enjoy cartography, it is a little bit of an artistic outlet for me. I also have about a million hobbies that I like (far to many to be able to engage in all of them). All of this seems to add up to to only one thing......... "Professional Adventurer/ World Explorer!" I think I may have been born a few centuries late to really get in early on this career choice, and I really doubt the insurance is very good. Maybe there is an entry level position out there somewhere (maybe when Dora or Diego retire). I will keep you posted...=0)

While you're at it, what is your dream job? Let me know in the comments...

6 comments:

Mindy said...

Luckily, I've found and am currently working in my dream job. Not that it is roses and rainbows every day, but I've wanted to be a mother from the time I was a very little girl. It has turned out to be much more difficult than ever imagined, but also much more fulfilling. Just this morning Sam was hugging me and my belly and saying how much he loved his sister (who will be born within a few weeks time) and me. You can't beat that for benefits. I also don't get time for all my hobbies, but I wouldn't trade all the time in the world, nor the best paying, most rewarding job ever for watching my kids grow and learn every day. Thanks for putting up with jobs that aren't your dream job so that I can enjoy mine while they are here. :)

p.s. I'll bet Sam would worship the ground you walk on (more than he already does) if you became Diego...

Jeff said...

Lately I have found that I see the glass as 1/2 empty. (by-product on my current employer). I don't think that I could come up with a dream job. Thoughts that came to mind were Mythbusters (gotta keep the money coming in or Discovery will cut you), Owner of your own business (I am afeared that I would either not make enough money to support my family or become someone that I wouldn't like or respect). I have wanted to teach history for a while now but from what I have heard speaking with my professors it is a very political thing as well as a "what have you done for me lately" thing rather than a how well do you know the material and can you impart that knowledge to your students. I have considered teaching on a high school level but I am not quite sure about that. I have to say however that now matter how bad the day is going home and seeing my little girl makes it all worth it.

p.s. I hope this makes sense. I'm pumped full of cold meds. and just tring to get through the work day.

Scott said...

I feel your pain Jeff. I worked there for more years than I care to remember. I still have dreams about working there, and I still have to fight the urge to answer the phone like I work there.. I have been gone for 5 years. =0(

Scott said...

Oh and Mindy, No problem...=0)

Fiscal Musings said...

I'd like to own and run my own business as well as be an investor. The strategy and game of it all just intrigues me.

Aaron said...

I think I was in my dream job 3 months ago, if I could get rid of the politics I could be back there.

I love computers and programming and I have the education to do engineering. I am a controls engineer, so I get to spec out and program the controls equipment to make processes happen. I am also a contractor, but happen to have pretty much a permanent position at one place so I have been there long enough I might as well be staff instead of an outsider.

When I first started to work where I am, it was great because I didn't have all of the responsibilites of preparing quotes, but was still the contractor. Now, I have worked my way into a permanent extrememly needed person, but unfortunately I am doing quoting, managing, political stuff more and more.

Like you Scott, I too do not like the politics, it gets to be a real pain at times.