Google+ Followers

Monday, March 3, 2008

Animation vs. Live action

I love a good story. I used to think the best stories were told on the big screen. When I was a kid I always looked forward to live action movies of my favorite comics. For some reason I thought that it would make them cooler, or better. My friends and I would speculate on who would make the best Wolverine, or which storyline should be adapted first. Unfortunately time, (and money hungry movie studios) have a cruel way of crushing childlike enthusiasm with crappy movies. In my last post, I mentioned have been pretty happy with the recent group of new comic-movie adaptations. This is still true, but now I realize that the big screen may not be good enough for these stories. Many comics have large casts of characters that would be better suited to television. Two hours just can't do them justice. Even when 2 hours is enough time to tell the story, the sheer scope and magnitude of the special effects just don't translate well into live action and CGI.

This past weekend I got the direct to DVD release of Justice League: The New Frontier. This movie is based on the graphic novel of the same name. It is about the formation of the Justice League, and it takes place in the fifties. It cuts through all the crap that gets added into movies these days. It tells the story it sets out to tell, and does it very well. One of the greatest things about it is; it is animated. They can show stuff without coming off as cheesy. You don't have lame actors hamming it up on screen.

I love animation. More and more lately I have been watching animation and am amazed at how good the storytelling is. Unfortunately animation still has a stigma of being childish. This isn't a kids movie it is rated PG-13 and rightly so. There are a lot of complex animated stories out there that many people will miss just because they think they are "kids shows". Well, I think I have become fully converted. Instead of looking for my favorite shows to be made live action, I am looking forward to my favorite live shows to be made into comics and cartoons.

No comments: