Google+ Followers

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Video Games

I have always been a fan of video games. I like pretty much every genre at least a little. and Now it appears that my life long addiction has been passed down to my son. I got my wife a game for Christmas (it helps that she like them also), and pulled out my PS2 that hasn't been hooked up in about 9 months for her to play it. I also pulled out a few titles that have been floating around awhile that I never got around to. Sam loved it. He especially liked when I played FFV (for those of you uninitiated in the ways of video games that is Final Fantasy five). He named one of his imaginary friends after the main character and also named one of his lego guys after a secondary character. All of this video game frenzy got me to thinking about my favorite gaming experiences. These are not necessarily my favorite games but the whole situation involved in playing the game.

In no particular order:
1. Excite Bike at the bowling alley with my grandma, I used to go bowling every Friday with my grandma and play in the arcade while she bowled. I loved excite bike. I fed so many quarters into that game that I probably could have payed college tuition with it. I remember when I got excite bike on the NES and the flood of memories it brought back.
2. Gauntlet at the movie theater arcade. My mom used to take us to the dollar theater when I was younger and they had gauntlet in the arcade there. I would play gauntlet every chance I got both before and after the movie. Once again I spent so many quarters that I could have funded a developing country. I never did get to the end of the game though.
3. Pitfall on the atari 2600. I thought this was the greatest thing ever. Video games in the house?! I played this for hours when I could get it away from my dad. I think Sam may have a similar problem.
4. Bionic Commando on NES. I only played this game a couple of times but one weekend my friend Jeremy spent the night and we spent about 12 hours straight beating the game. I have never been so relieved to see the end of a video game. It was one of those situations where you would say one more board after every board, and pretty soon we were so tired we were delirious. I vowed never to do that again (well at least not very often).
5. FF7 on PS1 I bought a playstation shortly after getting home from my mission, and this was one of the first games I bought for it. I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. It is hard to believe that it has been 10 years since it was released. The games now put it to shame graphically. But I played it about a year ago again and it held up. I had always been a fan of RPGs but this was when the rest of the world once again caught up to me =0).
6. Timesplitters on PS2. A group of my friends and I used to get together fairly frequently to play this game. I would hook up the four player adapter and we would be dizzy by the time we were done. I like FPS games but I also like the social interaction of being in the same room and this was my answer to all the computer FPSs.

I am sure there are more I will add to this list as they come back to me.

No comments: