Google+ Followers

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Things I won't miss 1

Well since I have a things I'll miss feature I figured I would create a "Things I won't miss" feature. I am not sure where to start with this, so I will start with where we are now. One thing I will not miss in St. Louis is the humidity. I have lived in the Midwest before and on the coast but I have never been someplace where the air was so packed full of water you can swim to get where you are going. I am surprised I don't drown when I take a deep breath.The only place I have been that was close was Louisiana and I was so busy fighting off helicopter sized, vampiric, zombie mosquitoes and putting up with weird relatives that the humidity was the least of my worries. There must be some sort of mystical humidity fairies that live in the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers.

Humidity is bad enough on its own, but when you add 100 degree temperatures into the mix you have a lethal combination. I heard on the radio that there would be "cooling stations" set up around the city so I asked my coworker what a cooling station was. She explained it gets so hot and humid around here that they set up stations for elderly and low income people to go to just to cool off. !?!?!?! I have never seen those before. In the West when it is 100 degrees it only feels like 100 degrees, it doesn't feel like the surface of the Sun. At least we don't have to deal with wildfires. Well wish me luck I have to go outside soon and brave the heat and humidity and I have a tendency to break a sweat even on a cool day.

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Try working in a trailer where the office on the end that has the thermostat has a server and like 6 computers in the office. If the AC can keep up, which is rare as it is not a well built or properly insulated trailer, it is so frigid that in the heat of the summer we have one guy running a space heater! Many of the really hot days, the AC just doesn't cut it and we might as well work outside in the middle of the road. In the winter, the heater never kicks on because the server keeps the room with the thermostat warm and the rest of us freeze or cuddle up to our space heaters just to survive! You ranted, so I figured I could too! ;P

Scott said...

@Aaron
good rant, I can't complain about my perfectly climate controlled building